Find a Good DUI Lawyer
If you are facing a DUI charge or a charge relating to impairment from other substances like illegal drugs, you need to find a good DUI lawyer. These lawyers specialize in DUI cases, but not all of them are the same. How to find a good DUI lawyer involves some research. For you to find the right one for your situation, follow these tips:
Find a Good DUI Lawyer - Key Tips
- Be careful of those specializing in everything. While they are trying to keep up with all the latest trends in the legal field, it doesn’t mean that they can completely focus on that. They wouldn’t be capable of offering the best kind of assistance you need.
- Don’t depend on the lawyer’s claim that they’re proficient in handling DUI cases. They can always make a claim as they’ve studied the laws applying to your case. However, that doesn’t mean that they’re specializing in it. Look for a lawyer with advance training and specialized education on your situation.
- Don’t trust a lawyer who tells you right away that he can win the case. A good lawyer won’t do that. They’ll study the facts first before telling you anything.
- Determine if a lawyer is familiar with the examinations done by the field police officers to know if you’re sober or not. More than their familiarity, they should be experts in it. The lawyer must understand the processes involved and how they work.
- Don’t pick a lawyer who recommends that you appeal guilty in your first meeting. A well-trained DUI lawyer will wait for facts before telling you what to do.
- Your lawyer must be familiar with the equipment used by the field police officers in examining your sobriety.
It’s also important to ask as much question as possible to the lawyer for you to get all information you need. These are some of the questions you should ask to find a good DUI lawyer.
- How many years have the lawyer specialized in DUI defenses? A lawyer may have been practicing his professions for years, but haven’t represented a DUI client or only did a few times. Make sure you hire a lawyer with courtroom experience dealing with DUI defenses.
- What is his track record when it comes to having DUI cases reduced or dropped? Defending a DUI charge is expensive and comes with risks. It’s best to think about your decision first before doing anything.
- How many DUI trials has he conducted? The more cases the lawyer has handled, the better.
- How many “not guilty” and “guilty” verdicts have the lawyer had? Remember that a lawyer with a good record of “not guilty” verdict doesn’t mean that he’ll win your case. However, it’s a good thing if his track record is positive.
- Who in the office will be managing your case and how will they communicate with you? To find a good DUI lawyer, it’s important to know the team that will be working on your DUI case and what experience and skills they have in defending such cases. Ask if the lawyer will appear in court. You also need to know who you’ll communicate with and how often you’ll interact directly with your legal representative.
How to find a good DUI lawyer may not be that easy, but once you follow these tips and conduct proper research, you’ll be able to find a legal representative who can handle your case the right way.
Check out this brief video on other quick tips in finding the right DUI attorney...
Find a Good DUI Lawyer - Key Tips Video Highlight
Why Hire a DUI Lawyer?
Being charged with DUI is a serious matter. If you’ve been arrested for DUI, it’s possible for you to face jail time, pay immense fines or have your license suspended. The potential hardships you might face at work and with your personal relationships or future career prospects are another thing to consider. If someone got injured or died due to your drunk driving, you’ll encounter serious psychological issues too.
You may handle some legal issues on your own, but a DUI arrest needs a DUI attorney’s legal advice. Since DUI laws are specific and highly centralized, experienced DUI lawyers with specialized knowledge in this area, including knowledge of ignition interlock devices, motor vehicle laws and traffic laws are required to handle these cases. Good DUI lawyers may challenge some elements of your charge based on his particular knowledge of chemical testing procedures, breathalyzers and blood test. You need a good DUI attorney who can guide you throughout the process and help you reduce or dismiss your case.
What Qualities Should a DUI Lawyer Have?
Capable DUI lawyers deal with various cases that involve DUI arrests and other offenses related to drunk driving. When seeking a DUI attorney, focus on his skill level, area or location served, commitment and expertise. An experienced lawyer may help you reduce your charge to a lesser felony, avoid trial with an appeal bargain, eliminate or reduce jail time and prevent a revoked license. It is important that the DUI lawyer you hire has the required skill level to handle your case. Your lawyer should be the one who will do most of the work on your DUI case. Since DUI laws vary from one state to another, it is important for the lawyer to have experience in the state or city where you were arrested.
DUI Lawyer Costs
The cost of battling a DUI charge will differ and depend on various factors. Not every DUI lawyer is the same. The fees of a good lawyer may be slighter higher than the amount charged by an average DUI lawyer. DUI costs will also vary depending on where you live or geography. Since charges for DUI are case-specific, the costs will differ based on the amount of work required to represent your case. For instance, if it’s your first time to be charged with DUI, the amount you will pay will be different from the fees that a habitual offender will spend. Thus, it’s best to talk to several DUI lawyers first to find one you feel comfortable working with and representing your case at a price you can afford.
Why don't you start with calling our featured DUI Lawyer right here in Rochester NY?
Call Our 585-270-6820 OR
I prefer you call me
Let Us Know Your Contact Info
What’s The Best Time to Call You?
We value your privacy and would never spam you
Our featured attorney may be a certified specialist in their DUI field. If so, the organization providing the certification is not affiliated with any governmental authority. Certification is not a requirement for the practice of law in the State of New York and does not necessarily indicate greater competence than other attorneys experienced in this field of law.